About the Role
About the Company
Incubated by EVX Ventures, Carcell Biopharma is a Venture-backed company that develops next generation cell and gene therapies. Co-founded by biotech veterans and backed by elite VCs, Carcell operates with a hub-and-spoke model to accelerate the development of cell and gene therapies from the bench to bedside. Carcell has assembled a top-notch R&D team in Singapore, and is establishing a state-of-the-art R&D and manufacturing center in Shanghai. Carcell's two lead platforms are around engineered red blood cells for immuno-modulation, and amino acid delivery using lipid nanoparticles.
The successful candidate will play a central role in IP strategy and management, with additional responsibilities in business development and operations. The candidate should possess working knowledge of the patent law and experience in patent drafting/prosecution/management. Preferably, the candidate should have a scientific/technical background and strong business acumen. This is an ideal role for IP professionals with an interest in understanding the business and commercial aspects of the biotech industry.
Key Duties & Responsibilities (IP management)
· Managing Carcell’s IP portfolio, which includes patents and patent applications, trade secrets/knowhow, and trademarks.
· Work closely with Carcell’s global R&D team to identify, evaluate and refine patentable inventions, and with external counsel to draft and prosecute patent applications (primarily in the US, China, Singapore, Europe).
· Devising and implementing trade secret management systems.
· Perform IP landscaping with considerations for both patentability and freedom-to-operate (FTO), to inform Carcell’s strategic and R&D directions.
· Assist in drafting and negotiating licensing agreements and other IP related legal documents.
· Manage active licenses and relationships with licensees/licensors.
Key Duties & Responsibilities (Business Development)
· Assist the senior management with business development and fundraising efforts.
· Scout for new technologies with potential for licensing/out-licensing and evaluate their market potential and feasibility.
· Conduct technology, IP, and commercial due diligence for collaboration and investment targets.
· Other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Experience & Qualifications
· Msc or PhD in life sciences, biochemistry, bioengineering, immunology or a related field;
· 2-5 years of related work experience in patent prosecution or intellectual property management, familiar with IP laws in US, European, Singapore or China; candidates who are partially/fully qualified (patent agent/attorney) will have a strong advantage.
· Working level proficiency in both English and Chinese.
· Proactive and efficient working style, with the capacity to manage and deliver under tight deadlines.
· Strong communication and teamwork skills.